Re: Q2 Server logging

On Mon, Jan 01, 1996 at 07:24:02AM +1300, Michael Beattie wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Sep 1998, Chris wrote:
>

> > Hi all,
> >
> > I run a q2 server under linux, and I'm having trouble getting a log file
> > of the server output....
> >
> > I'm trying to redirect output to a file, using a command such as:
> >
> > ./quake2 +set dedicated 1 +exec server.cfg > /tmp/serverout
> >
> > But when I try this, /tmp/serverout is just an empty file (even though no
> > messages appear on stdout).  It seems that the quake2 binary detects when
> > it's output is being redirected and stops sending any :(.
> >
> > Is there a better way to get a log of the console output?
> >
> > Also, if somebody could confirm/deny this problem, it would be great if you
> > could let me know.
>
> I havent tried that, maybe you could use script? I think that is its
> name.. Anyway, I am nowhere near guru status on pipes/redirs etc, but isnt
> there a '&' and '2' that can be used...??? someone?
>
>                        Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)

Yeah...script does catch the output (and I also found that you can get q2 to
log to a file, which is what I'll do).  As for the '2' etc, your thinking
of 2>&1 (or similar) which pipes stderr to the same pipe as stdout, but in
this case the program stops output to stdout and stderr as soon as I try to
pipe or redirect any output.  Weird.

Thanks,

Chris

REALITY.SYS corrupted: Reboot universe? (Y/N/Q) ...Debian GNU/Linux
Reply with subject 'key' for PGP public key.  KeyID A9E087D5