Re: Install Problem

On Thu, 3 Sep 1998, Bedwyr wrote:

 : Everytime I try and Install Debian 2.0 It will stop at the same point. Which
 : is during loading under the following line...
 : Ncr53c875J-0 copying script fragments into the onboard RAM
 : ......
 : I have a Fireport 40 SCSI card with a 4.3 gig IBM SCSI HD and 160 megs of PC100 SDRAM mem with a pentium II
 : Prosseser.
 : .......
 : I Don't have a Clue as to why it does this, If anyone can give me any advice
 : it would be very appreciated.

I think you'll need to recompile your kernel, and tweak the settings for
the NCR53C8XX driver.  IIRC the default settings make some assumptions
about Symbios compatibility and reading in the PROM (which seems to be
hurting you).

I've also noticed that the stock Debian kernel can be hell with some
SCSI cards which don't appreciate all the other drivers probing around
the system, so that's another good reason to recompile.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD