Re: More CDROM troubles

On Mon, 31 Aug 1998, Chad C. Walstrom wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Aug 1998, Lazar Fleysher wrote:
>
> > It never detects the master device on the secondary channel, thus my cdrom
> > is connected as a slave on the secondary( without any master devices on it
> > which contradicts to IDE specifications..) CDROM is accessible from linux
> > and dos.

My CDROM was connected to /dev/hdd for quite some time, without any
problems. After I bought a writer, it moved to /dev/hdc, still no sign of
any trouble. It had been connected to /dev/hdd for almost a year, with no
/dev/hdc present.
But my friend had a similar problem: the secondary controller didn't
detect any drive connected to it as master (not even a normal harddisk),
but a CDROM connected to it as slave worked great. Don't ask me why, it
just works...

> That's really strange.  The reason I say this is because I've
> successfully installed Deb 2.0 via CDROM setup as Master on the
> Secondary IDE channel (/dev/hdc).  In addition, I haven't had any
> problems mounting and unmounting it when needed.  I'm using an older
> CDROM (4X Mitsumi - I think), but that really shouldn't matter (unless
> you've got a pre-ATAPI CDROM).  Do you think it might have something
> to do with your motherboard?

Or maybe with the CDROM player itself...
AFAIK you can't do any damage to your computer by connecting a slave
device to an IDE channel when there's no master device present. It may not
by in line with the specs, but why not do it if it works?

Good luck,
 Maarten Bezemer.