Re: "standard" HAMM connecting on its own to internet?

On Thu 03 Sep 1998, Doug Thistlethwaite wrote:

> What is ipfwadm?  I am almost positive it is my win 95 system but I have no idea what

Ipfwadm is the tool for IP FireWall ADMinistration. With it you can tell
it not to accept certain IP packets, and to block forwarding. It's
possible that forwarding (i.e. passing packets from one interface
through to another) is turned on by default, so that if your win95
system does a broadcast for netbios, that gets sent to the isdn
interface, which triggers a dialout.

Try "ipfwadm -F -p deny". That tells the kernel not to allow any
forwarding (forwarding default policy is deny).  For more info, look at
www.xos.nl/linux/ipfwadm/ .

You can also check what IP packet is causing the dialout; debian isdn
config by default logs the first outgoing packet which triggers the
dialout, look in /var/log/kern.log for lines like:

Sep  2 19:39:39 janux kernel: OPEN: 194.109.102.29 -> 194.229.27.42 TCP, port: 15907 -> 21

This shows that the packet originating from IP 194.109.102.29 going to
194.229.27.42 on tcp port 21 is causing the dialout. Port 21/tcp is
ftp according to /etc/services, so here someone typed "ftp ftp.nluug.nl"
(194.229.27.42 is ftp.nluug.nl).  This information can help to track
down what the problem is.

> is doing it.

I've also heard that turning DNS lookups on or off on the win95 system
can help...

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl | debian: paul@debian.org