Re: star office 4.0

On Wed, 02 Sep 1998 14:24:10 MDT, Jim Harsh wrote:

> I read that star office 4.0 was available for download for nocommercial
> users. Went to ftp.stardiv.com and downloaded what appears to be latest
> version, sp3-49, but it is in German. High scholl was a long time ago, and
> my German wasn't that good then. I've tried to go to caldera.com but my dns
> server can not find www.caldera.com or ftp.caldera.com. Is there anywhere
> else to get star office 4.0? I think debian.org has 3.1.? in
> nonfree/contrib/editors.

I think that "49" designates the german language, and "01" designates
the english language.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. So you'd
want:

  ftp://ftp.stardivision.com/pub/so4/linux/sp3/01/

StarOffice 5.0 is due out soon (press reports say September, but you
know how that goes).  Press report says 5.0 will support office 97 file
formats, which might be important if you're exchanging docs from that
suite. (4.0 chokes on office 97 file formats).

It's a long download by modem, so make sure your ftp client has
"resume" capability.

--
David
                                               dstern@u.washington.edu