Re: Printing to a windows shared printer

In article <19980901111356.B13109@yodeller.rising.com.au>, Hamish
Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> writes

Hi Hamish!

>On Mon, Aug 31, 1998 at 09:02:11PM +0100, Ian Lynagh wrote:
>> I am having some problems with printing to a windows shared printer
>> over the network. It is a NEC SuperScript 860.
>>
>> If I do "lpr -Pnec myfile.txt" then the green light goes
>> blink-blink...blink-blink...blink-blink...
>> which means "PCL data left in printer". Pressing the button on the front
>> makes the text print.
>
>This is because no form feed has been sent to the printer.
>
>Installing magicfilter would do the job nicely. It will handle adding
>formfeeds at the end of the last page, do CR-CR/LF translations where
>necessary to prevent the staircase effect, and also do transparent
>translation of postscript and other formats using appropriate filters
>(like ghostscript).

I think you have misunderstood my problem  :-(

I have magicfilter installed, and my local HP LJ 4L works fine with it.

However, my problem is with a printer shared by a Win'95 box.
echo translate sorts out the CRLF/LF translations for me, but
I don't see how I could use magicfilter, unless you are suggesting
something changing this:

(
        echo translate
        echo "print -"
        cat
) | smbclient "//alpha/NEC" -N -P >> $logfile

to something like this:

(
        echo "print -"
        (cat | /etc/magicfilter/nec6p)
) | smbclient "//alpha/NEC" -N -P >> $logfile

Thanks in advance for any clues
Ian
--
Ian Lynagh - ian@lynagh.demon.co.uk
http://home.sol.no/~balchen/igloo/

Clean, dependable, hard working....good god what kind of monster have I become?