Getting Debian 2.0 to boot on ThinkPad 600

Re my earlier message about being unable to install Debian 2.0 on a
ThinkPad 600 that runs Red Hat 5.0 fine. We are still unable to create a
kernel that will allow the rescue disk to boot.

Steve Hsieh kindly pointed out that we should have read readme.txt on the
rescue disk and run rdev.sh after transferring the kernel to it. We have
now done this, using both a bzImage (as recommended in the readme file)
and a zImage (as recommended by Steve). In both cases, we get a kernel
panic at the same place:

  Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:06.

This is right after a very verbose message about a FAT filesystem.

As far as we can tell, the kernel we created contains everything it is
supposed to contain: initrd, ramdisk, loop, msdos, fat, minix, elf,
ext2fs, and procfs.

If anyone has any idea what we are doing wrong, I would be very grateful
for suggestions.

James G. MacKinnon                       Department of Economics
    phone: 613 545-2293                  Queen's University
      Fax: 613 545-2257                  Kingston, Ontario, Canada
    Email: jgm@qed.econ.queensu.ca       K7L 3N6