Re: Installing and configuring Emacs20

On 30 Aug 1998, Ruud de Bruin wrote:

> I've installed the initial six diskettes from Debian 2.0 on my PC. After
> reboot I choose for a "home user" setup and via dselect I picked up all
> the files from ftp.cistron.nl, a Debian mirror site.
>
> I am having problems with the emacs20 package. During configuration, I
> receive an error message in some kind of installation script in emacs20.
> Is this a known problem? I tried again after all packages were installed
> and configured, but the problem remains in emacs20.

Yes, I had that problem when I selected several profiles (or whatever)
to get lots of packages ftp'd to my jaz drive. It went away when I cut
back.

This is absolute hearsay, but I read here that tm might be the cause of the
problem. So try purging it, install emacs20, then reinstall tm (if you
need it). If it's not that, look at any packages that fiddle with lisp or
emacs directories, e.g. /etc/emacs20/...

Cheers,