Re: X11 remains black (fwd)

Hi,

> using the PCMCIA drivers), but if I start X (version included in Debian
> 2.0), the screen remains black. SuperProbe does not work neither. Screen
> black, machine locked ?
>  When I reboot with 2.0.30, no problems, not at all. Please note that this
> 2.0.30 kernel was made with gcc 2.7.2.. while the 2.0.34 with gcc 2.8.1.

Don't use gcc 2.8.1 or egcs to compile the 2.0.x kernels.  This is a known
issue.  Compiling the kernel with those compilers causes problems with X11
starting up.  Use gcc 2.7.x to compile the kernel.  By the way, it is for
this reason (at least one reason) that Debian 2.0's default C compiler is
gcc 2.7.2.3.

I believe that the latest development 2.1.x kernels can be compiled using
the new compilers.  I am not suggesting that you use the development
kernels, however.

-Ossama