Re: Sound card question, mouse question

On 29 Aug, Christopher M. Wesneski wrote:
> I recently learned how to setup my Plug-and-Pray modem using pnpdump and
> isapnp.
>
> pnpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf (then select the correct settings)
> isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf
> setserial /dev/ttyS1 port 0x2f8 irq 3 uart 16550
>
> Everything works great. My question is, pnpdump also listed my sound
> card. When I edited isapnp.conf to select the correct settings and ran
> isapnp everything looks ok but the card doesn't work. Is there something
> similar to setserial that I have to do after I run isapnp?
>
> Also I went out and bought a three button mouse so I could middle-click
> cut-n-paste in xterms but I can't seem to get it to work. I have gpm
> running and it works while not in X (at the console). But when I am in X
> the middle button does nothing. It is a $0.50 serial port mouse
> (GoldenImage) and it has a little switch on the bottom (which I have no
> clue what it does) with one side labeled MS AM (which is the only way it
> will work in Windows) and the other PC AT. Any suggestions?

You might get a better response with better information in your
question.  What model is your sound card?  Are the settings listed for
it in /etc/isapnp.conf correct?  Do you get any error messages when
trying to use the sound card or does it just fail silently?  I get a
"Interrupt test on IRQ5 failed - device disabled" when my sound card
doesn't work, meaning that Plug-and-Pray has in fact introduced an
interrupt conflict into the system.  Most importantly, does the kernel
you're running have sound support?  (I always compile custom kernels,
so I don't remember if the default Debian kernel has sound support or
not.)  You may need to recompile your kernel with sound support on.

As for your mouse, the switch on the bottom changes which protocol the
mouse uses; have you read the 3-Button-Mouse HOWTO? (It's in
/usr/doc/HOWTO/mini/, and may have the information you need to decide
where that switch belongs.)  Also, you need to make sure that the
information in your XF86Config matches your mouse hardware.  You should
tell X that you have whatever kind of mouse you have set the switch to.
--
Stephen Ryan                   Debian GNU/Linux
Mathematics graduate student, Dartmouth College