Errors with taper 6.9

I just installed taper version 6.9.  It seems to backup several MB, then
seeks for a few minutes, followed by an error message:

Input/output error while writing to tape

Retry immediately repeats the error message.  Aborting shows a seg fault.
I tried reformatting the tape and using a new tape, but get the same
error.

System:  Pentium 150 running slink, kernel 2.0.35, ftape-3.04d, Ditto 3200
tape drive with Dash accelerator card.

I remember having problems with taper in bo as well (the rex version
worked fine).  I used tob for backups in bo and this also worked in hamm,
but I get an afio error with slink (see my previous message), so tried
using taper again.

Has anyone else had backup problems with slink?

Bob

----