Re: Linux SMP

Philip Thiem <ptt@umr.edu> writes:

> I'm wonder, and perhap some you linux buffs could help.  HOw great is the
> performance gain from SMP?

I run on a two processor pentium pro machine all of the time - for doing
development, "make -j [ something >1 ]" gives about double compilation
speed, as multiple gcc's get spawned onto the two processors.

Multi-CPU pentium machines (as opposed to PII or PPro) are not supposed to
see as much of a benefit, as the two processors share L2 cache.

Others have pointed out, too, that the 2.1.x performance is supposed to be
much better than 2.0.34.  I'm running 2.1.104, and I'd say that I have
noticed a stellar difference.  The performance I was used to under 2.0.34
was pretty impressive for the stuff I do, though - for a kernel bound job,
2.1.x might make a big difference.

Hopefully this is a useful answer :-)

Later,
	Dale
--
| Dale E. Martin |  Clifton Labs, Inc.  |  Senior Computer Engineer    |