Re: Exim fail to receive mails !?!

grep@shorelink.com (George Bonser) wrote:

>Since I do UUCP, all of my installations are non-standard.  I run Exim but
>Debian does not know that, it thinks I am running smail. I simply
>hand-copied the Exim binary into place on the target machines, created the
>needed directories, set all permissions as Debian does for exim. I have
>Exim facing the internet for SMTP and it hands off mail destined for my
>uucp sites to smail which does the routing/spooling. It is really a kluge.

This sounds really bogus.

Do you *really* need smail's bangpath handling? With this, I mean using
the uucp maps etc. to figure out the correct routing etc.  If all you
have is a number of uucp neighbours with which you have to exchange
email, exim is fully up to the task, given a couple of changes to the
exim.conf file.

I use exim with uucp on two debian systems. These are globally the
changes needed:

In the global part:

    trusted_users = mail:uucp

for receiving mail correctly.

In the transports section:

    uucp:
      driver = pipe
      user = nobody
      command = "/usr/bin/uux -r - $host!rmail ${local_part}"
      return_fail_output = true

In the routers section, below any possible smtp entries:

    xs4all:
      driver = domainlist
      transport = uucp
      route_list = "xs4all.nl xs4all"

I only want to send emails over the uucp link if they're destined for
the xs4all.nl domain, which explains the route_list. However, "transport
= uucp" works fine for the smarthost and other entries as well.

Furthermore a rewrite rule may be necessary if your uucp partner sends
mail to a bang path. I don't need that with xs4all, but I can look it up
on the other system (not local for me at the moment) if necessary.

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl
http://www.wurtel.demon.nl | Murphy Software, Enschede, the Netherlands