Re: Linux SMP

>HOw great is the performance gain from SMP?  I have been debating this
>with a friend.  I know linux has muli-threaded capability, but like the

I'm not a linux guru, in fact, I'd label myself as a linux struggler.  That
aside, I can tell you that the performance gain of multiple processors
entirely what you wish to do with the linux box.

If your linux computer provides access to a ppp connection, as in a
firewall, trust me, SMP won't give you any real performance.  Same goes for
most database applications.  Where SMP really flies is when you are
compiling, using some kind of CAD or spreadsheet software, or something
that's calculation or processor intensive.

A good friend of mine is running Linux (Redhad actually) on his
dual-pentium pro 128Mb machine, which he uses primarily for games, X, and
PC-board layout software.  All three of the applications run lightening
quick, while still being a webserver/ftpserver off a dial-up connection.

By coincidence, I have the identical machine (we got them at a computer
fair at the same time), but running NT instead, doing basically the same
thing.  Quake runs faster on my NT box, the dial-up internet connection
absolutely KILLS my system performance, and the PC-Board layout software
also chokes.  Of course, this is comparing apples and oranges - NT software
is much different than Unix software.  Maybe prettier in some aspects, but
its slooooooooooow.

To utilize SMP, you have to recompile the operating system, no doubt about
that.

Sorry for the tangent.