Re: /etc/ppp/options

*- Gary L. Hennigan wrote about "/etc/ppp/options"
| Related to my previous post about learning to use Xisp, I'm trying to
| get PPP to work from a user account, my own, and so far haven't had
| any success. Whether I use Xisp or just "pon ISP_Name" I get the
| following in /var/log/ppp.log:
|
| pppd[2513]: Can't open options file /etc/ppp/options: No such file or directory
|
| I was under the assumption that pppd was supposed to use the file
| /etc/ppp/peers/ISP_Name for the options file? I can't figure out why
| it's not doing that. The same operations work fine for root, e.g.,
|
| pon ISP_Name
|
| fires up PPPD without a hitch. I don't see a problem with
| permissions. pppd is setuid root and /etc/chatscript, and all the
| files therein, are owned by root.dip. I'm also a member of the dip
| group in /etc/group. I even tried newgrp dip, which succeeded, but I
| still get the message about /etc/ppp/options not being there? Why is
| it trying to read that file instead of /etc/ppp/peers/ISP_Name?

Well, I just went through this myself, see the thread on 'PPP as normal
user'.

What I learned is that there has to be a /etc/ppp/options file and it
should at least have the 'auth' option in it.  My problem turned out to
be a permissions one so I will just list what I have.  Also, since you
have become a member of the dip group have you logged into a new shell.
What does the groups command show?

My permissions:

{~}[25]>ls -l /usr/sbin/pppd
 105 -rwsr-xr--   1 root     dip        105532 Jun 18 19:59 /usr/sbin/pppd*
{~}[26]>ls -dl /etc/ppp
   1 drwxr-xr-x   6 root     dip          1024 Aug 26 15:31 /etc/ppp/
{~}[28]>ls -l /etc/ppp/options
   1 -rw-r--r--   1 root     dip             5 Aug 26 13:23 /etc/ppp/options
{~}[29]>ls -dl /etc/ppp/peers
   1 drwxr-xr-x   2 root     dip          1024 Aug 28 13:35 /etc/ppp/peers/
{~}[31]>ls -l /etc/ppp/peers/provider
   1 -rw-r-----   1 root     root          634 Aug 28 13:35 /etc/ppp/peers/provider
{~}[32]>ls -dl /etc/chatscripts
   1 drwxr-x---   2 root     dip          1024 Jul  9 20:50 /etc/chatscripts/
{~}[33]>ls -l /etc/chatscripts/provider
   1 -rwxr-----   1 root     dip           170 Jul  9 20:50 /etc/chatscripts/provider*
{~}[34]>groups
servis dialout audio dip