Exim fail to receive mails !?!

Hi,

We have just installed the hamm on a new PC to make it an e-mail server.
We have installed it via ftp from a local mirror.

Because of my previous experience with exim, I have chosed it as our MTA.
However, it failed to accept any SMTP connection from outside. Because of
this, no mail was received and M$ Windows clients with accounts on the
server couldn't send mails using the SMTP (service time out). The POP3
server (qpoper) worked well however. After some unsuccesfull work, we've
changed to smail and it worked out of the box.

Any ideea ?

TIA,

Ionutz