Re: SCSI peripherals?

timothy@smasher.rs.itd.umich.edu writes:

|        I have an external SCSI zip drive & scanner. However, it seems
|that when I boot my machine if they aren't powered on at boot time,
|they don't get recognized. Is there any way I can get it to read them
|after boot time? Or do I have to leave them on permanently / reboot
|every time I want to use them?

Two ways to do this:

1) Make your SCSI driver a module and unload it, power on the devices,
and reload it. You'll need the module utilities to do this, debian
moduutils package. See specifically lsmod, rmmod, insmod.

2) If you have hard drives that rely on the SCSI module being loaded
at boot time, or you don't want to mess with compiling your SCSI
driver as a module, then here's the other option (taken from the Linux
kernel source file drivers/scsi/scsi.c):

/*
 * Usage: echo "scsi add-single-device 0 1 2 3" >/proc/scsi/scsi
 * with  "0 1 2 3" replaced by your "Host Channel Id Lun".
 * Consider this feature BETA.
 *     CAUTION: This is not for hotplugging your peripherals. As
 *     SCSI was not designed for this you could damage your
 *     hardware !
 * However perhaps it is legal to switch on an
 * already connected device. It is perhaps not
 * guaranteed this device doesn't corrupt an ongoing data transfer.
 */

Gary