Re: Questions about Debian 2.0

On Thu, Aug 27, 1998 at 12:21:55PM +0200, Remo Badii wrote:

> 2)  When pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL (programmed to halt the system in inittab),
>     the machine halts but is not powered off. Is this because I have not
>     chosen the APM package during installation (overlooked it, probably)?
>     Do I solve the problem by going into dselect and installing that
>     package?

This is because the kernel you are using has not been configured with
"Character Devices" -> "Advanced Power Management BIOS support" -> "POWER
OFF on shutdown". You will have to recompile the kernel for this to work.

> 3)  Just after running XF86Setup, I noticed a file /use/X11R6/bin/X: is that
>     a copy of XF86_VGA16?
>     Later, I renamed it to Xold (probably I could have deleted it), created
>     a file X and linked it to /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVGA. As a matter of fact,
>     X works. Is the above correct?

No it is not! ;) Yo should never delete file you don't know their use. Get used
to rename them like you did.
I did the same at the begining but you should move back the Xold
to X. /usr/bin/X is supposed yo be a wrapper which gives some more degree of
security (I gess I read this somewhare). Make sure the file /etc/X11/Xserver
contains the server you want on the very first line.

> 7)  While installing ppp, I got the warning that serial.o (whatever it is)
>     should have been installed manually later. During boot there is a
>     message about a serial module being manually loaded. Is that the same
>     thing?

As root: use "modconf" to select serial.o OR issue "insmod serial" to load
the module OR edit /etc/modules an place serial in one line.

Best regards,

Rafa