This is the best I can get from Mutt:

From: dave@rollanet.org  or  From: root@rollanet.org

This is what I want:

From: David Densmore <dden@rollanet.org>

The best I can get from Pine is:

From: David Densmore <dave@rollanet.org>

or

From: David Densmore <root@rollanet.org>

I know, I could just create a Linux user account with the same userid
as my ISP, but I don't want to (so there).  Besides, I have multiple
email accounts and I want to be able to put any return address I like
in the From: line.

Mutt will pretend to let me edit the headers.  But when I send myself test
emails it always says From: dave@rollanet.org or From: root@rollanet.org
no matter what I typed in as a header before I sent it.

Thanks,
David Densmore <dden@rollanet.org>

this message sent with Eudora under Win98.