Re: Latency problems with Telnet

On Thu, 27 Aug 1998, BG Lim wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the letter. However, my modem speed is set to 115000.
pppd is _NOT_ able to use that speed and will fall back to another, much
slower one (28000?) !!! (at least my (Bo) version of pppd, to check
against this look at the output of plog, you will probably see a line like
this:
	Aug 27 03:43:08 diamond pppd[1296]: speed 115000 not supported
)
Or do you only mean that you have specified the spd_vhi option to
setserial?

Sorry, I mistyped the speed to give to pppd i told you before. It _is_
57600, no more, no less.
^^^^^

> Actually, the reason for all this, is that I read somewhere, that linux is
> able to set latencies for various programs, since it is so network
> centric. And that article mentioned that telnet is set to low-latency, so
> that it gets a good response.
This sounds interesting...

> So, I've been wondering is there is something I did, or didn't do, which
> changed that. I've played with the MTU and MRU settings. Currently, its
> 296 for both. No difference whatsoever.
I am not an expert, but I think that using such low values can only be
acceptable with very slow connections requiring very hi responsiveness
(each packet contains an header, and using low values the header/data
ratio is  higher, wasting bandwidth).

Ciao,
	Michele