Re: X / Xemacs weird behaviour

Felipe Alvarez Harnecker <fealvar@ctc.cl> writes:
| Hi,
|
| This is my problem:
| if i  try to run   $ xemacs -display mymachine:0.0 from the shell it does not
| complain but no window appears at the sceen.
|
| if i do $ xemacs -display othermachine:0.0  it works fine.
| also if i simply do $xemacs it works fine.
|
| The strange thing is that any other xapp works fine.
|
| It seems that the combination my Xserver/xemacs does not work. The conection
| get stablished but no screen.

Are you permanently connected to a network? If so do you have the
proper entries in /etc/hosts? Something along the lines of:

this.machines.ip.address	thishost.domain thishost loghost
127.0.0.1			localhost

If you're not permanently connected to a network your /etc/hosts file
should look like:

127.0.0.1			thishost thishost.domain localhost

Some other things to do to try and find the problem:

1) Try invoking it like:

xemacs -display :0.0

(Note: no host name)

2) Use strace to see where xemacs is hanging. Invoke like:

strace xemacs -display mymachine:0.0

Be prepared for lots of output!

Of course it may not be hanging, but displaying on whatever IP it is
associated with "mymachine".

Gary