Re: Why hurd ? was (What is hurd?)

On Wed, 26 Aug 1998, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

 : On Tue, Aug 25, 1998 at 10:51:56PM +0800, Richard L. Alhama wrote:
 : > On Mon, 24 Aug 1998, Nathan E Norman wrote:
 : > <snip>
 : >
 : > > Imagine "Debian GNU/FreeBSD" ... that would send some people straight
 : > > over the edge.
 : >
 : > Uhhmmm why not.  So that we can all multiple boot to these OS's ( Linux
 : > /HURD/FreeBSD/Win32/fooOS) without learning any other packaging systems.
 : >
 : > I love OS's!
 :
 : Well, FreeBSD is not just as kernel, it's the whole OS, unlike Linux &
 : Hurd, which are just kernels (the distribution is the OS). You could do it,
 : but then you could do Debian GNU/Solaris too if you wanted.

True ... I don't iamgine we'll ever see a Debian/GNU FreeBSD, cos that
would imply a BSD kernel with GNU utilities and dpkg, dselect, etc ...
purists would hate it and it might not be as extensible as a Linux
kernel-based system ... although I'm told BSD kernels are superior for
firewalling, and the can actually do NAT, whereas Linux does IP-Masq.
However, since FreeBSD development is not as "open" as Linux development
many would feel stifled in this environment.

Then again, someone mentioned Debian FreeBSD, which would be BSD, the
Debian packaging/admin tools, and no GNU stuff - the purists would hate
that too :)

Oh well, back to real work :)

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD