Partition hosed. Is there a way to find the superblock?

I did something stupid (not rebooting after a re-partition), and so
now after I finally did reboot, I've got a partition with a bunch of
data on it that can't be mounted.  Both mount and e2fsck complain
about not being able to find the superblock.  I can get some of the
data off of it by just running strings on the partition, but I'd
really rather find the superblock and bring it back to life.  The data
there is not critical (it's just my Debian mirror partition), but I'd
rather not have to reconstruct that through my modem link if I don't
have to.

Is there some "magic number" or unique header I can search for that
will tell me where one of the (backup) super blocks is stored?

Thanks