Re: Running program at boot time

Xiaolin Wang wrote:

> I try to run some program at the machine boot up, and put the program
> lines in rc.local. But it doesn't work. Hope anyone can help
>
> --

rc.local is used on BSD style boots.  Debian uses a sysv style boot
process.  Where to put it depends on what it is.  /etc/rc.boot is a good
start.  Any script in here is ran at boot.  Another option is to put a
script in /etc/init.d.  You then put a symlink to this script in rc?.d
where ? is the runlevel.  2-5 is the user run levels.  2 is the
default.  So a link in rc2.d will be run right before you get a login
prompt.