Re: telnet break-in

On Sun, 23 Aug 1998, Ossama Othman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > > 	telnet
> > > 	ftp
> > > 	login
> > > 	exec
> > > 	finger
> > > 	shell
> > > 	...you get the idea...
> >
> > And dont forget the r services ... rlogin, rsh, rexec, etc.
>
> Yep, the "r" services are covered by login, exec and shell.  Here is what
> inetd.conf has to say:
>
> shell          stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd
> /usr/sbin/in.rshd
> login          stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd
> /usr/sbin/in.rlogind
> exec           stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd
> /usr/sbin/in.rexecd

Interesting ... after reading the above messages, I decided to check out
my /var/log files and found a whole suite of "in.telnetd[XXX]: connect"
statements.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles          (248) 377-7735           ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

 "Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first woman
 she meets and then teams up with three complete strangers to kill again."
   - TV listing for the Wizard of Oz in the Marin Independent Journal