RE: time is off

On 24-Aug-98 daryl wrote:
> folks,
>
> both of my my debian systems have the wrong time. they are 7 hours
> too early, although they are in the correct timezone (PDT). i can
> use the date command to set the date right, however i still have the
> same problem after a reboot.
>
> can someone please shed some light on this subject. any pointers,
> tips, rtfms, etc are welcomed.

Clue: Your timezone (PDT) is GMT - 7 hours. So your hardware clocks are set to
local time, which your systems assume is GMT, and the timezone offset then
makes it show as 7 hours earlier.

Solution: set your hardware clocks to GMT (i.e. UT or "Universal Time").

Alternatively, if you insist on your hardware clock being at local time:
set your timezone to GMT0; but this is not pretty, in all sorts of ways.

Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <Ted.Harding@nessie.mcc.ac.uk>
Date: 24-Aug-98                                       Time: 23:25:57