Re: Typesetters?

On Mon, Aug 24, 1998 at 01:11:41PM -0400, timothy@smasher.rs.itd.umich.edu shared with us the following words of wisdom:
> Hi,
>         Am I correct in understanding that things like Tex/Latex/LyX/Kalyx are
> typesetters? And can someone explain what they are for and what the difference
> between them is?

TeX is a typesetting system that sorta reminds of HTML in that you use
'tags' in your document for fonts, headlines, headers, fotnotes etc. LaTeX
is an extension of TeX to make it easier to create documents. LyX and Klyx
are graphical frontends to LaTeX so you don't have to mess with the tags
directly. Then there is AUCTex, which is an Emacs module that adds a couple
of menus etc to make it easier to work directly with LaTeX documents. A simple
LaTeX document could look like:

\documentclass{report}
\begin{document}
\chapter{First Chapter of example document}
\section{First section of first chapter}

This is an example so you should know that you wont
find any interesting text here. It's also easy to
typeset mathematica formulas, as the following example shows:

\begin{displaymath}
\lim_{n \to \infty}\sum_{k=1}^n \frac{1}{k^2} = \frac{\pi^2}{6}
\end{displaymath}

\footnote{example footnote}

\end{document}

You can find out more at:

http://bluesky.ecas.ou.edu/~bfiedler/tips/latex.html
http://www-h.eng.cam.ac.uk/help/tpl/textprocessing/
http://sunsite.auc.dk/auctex/
http://la1ad.uio.no/lyx/

I have also put a great introduction to LaTeX (not written by me)
on my ftp server if you're interested. it's found at:

ftp://granroth.ml.org/pub/Latex/short_intro.ps

HTH
+         Peter Granroth         +  Microsoft is NOT the answer  +
+ mailto:devnull@granroth.ml.org +   Microsoft is the question   +
+     http://granroth.ml.org     +       The answer is NO        +