Re: Typesetters?

On 24 Aug 1998, Ole J. Tetlie wrote:

> KLyX is just LyX for the KDE environment.
>
> All these are especially superb for scientific writing, but also highly
> usable for normal text.

One additional note, people familliar with Adobe FrameMaker will pick up
on LyX rather quickly. It uses the same concepts of styles and such. Make
a change in a type of heading and all heading of that type in the entire
document adopt that style. It knows about things like books, chapters,
etc.

It is sometimes a difficult concept for users of word processors such as
Word to understand. With Word, you specify the format of areas of text.
You might highlight a line and click the bold button and it makes that
text bold.

With LyX you assign a style to that line and then assign attributes to the
style. For example, you say this is a heading and headings are bold. Now
whenever you assign the heading style to a line, it will be bold. Change
the attribute for headings to bold+italic and all lines of the style
"heading" in the entire document are changed at the same time.

It is a subtle difference that once mastered, makes producing documents
much easier.

George Bonser

The Linux "We're never going out of business" sale at an FTP site near you!