diskless systems

I was wondering if Debian supported diskless systems? I plan to get a very
high performance system for myself and wanted to set-up a diskless terminal
for my daughter that would have full access to X Window via either a
null-modem cable or a 10baseT connection and was wondering just how cheap a
system I could get for my daughters PC? I was hoping I could get away with
just a 386 or less set-up as a dummy term with a good video card for X
Window and not much else that would boot from my PC. Is this possible, or
do I have to at least have a minimum root installation on the remote PC to
be able to connect? Thank you for your assistance.

Cheers,

     John Gay