No C++? sftp does not complete configure script

I tried compiling sftp and the configure script did not finish.  I thought
this was there as I have the following C++ libaries
ii  libg++27        2.7.2.1-14.4   The GNU C++ libraries (ELF version).
ii  libg++272       2.7.2.8-0.1    The GNU C++ libraries (libc6 version).

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Chuck

 The following is what happened on my Debian 2.0 system.
$ ./configure
creating cache ./config.cache
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for c++... no
checking for g++... no
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C++ compiler (gcc  ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C++ compiler
cannot create executables.

This is the start of the fetchmail configure script.
$ ./configure
creating cache ./config.cache
checking host system type... i586-unknown-linux
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -O -s) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -O -s) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking whether gcc and cc understand -c and -o together... yes
checking for AIX... no
checking for POSIXized ISC... no
checking for minix/config.h... no
checking for ANSI C header files... yes

Any suggestions on fixing it or will you be releaing another soon?

Thanks,
Chuck