Re: How to receive mail under WIN95 from another Debian PC ?

Michael,

I would leave all the mail spool on PC2 and run qpopper on it. Then just
run a pop3 client on PC1 to get the mail from PC2.

In my inetd.conf I have

pop-3           stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  /usr/sbin/in.qpopper

I do recall having to edit this, maybe that is a bug in qpoppers
post.inst scripts.

Then just give the users of PC1 accounts on PC2.  They don't even have
to have shells or home directories to just login for POP retrieval.

Use PC2 as your outgoing mail server for PC1.  You don't really need an
mta(i.e. smail) on PC1.  There are several mail readers that will just
interact with a mail server and don't require a local mta.  They will
send the ougoing mail on the smtp port for the mail server to deal
with.  The two that I am familiar with are are netscape (both linux &
win95) and tkrat (linux).  There are most likely others.

Have fun,

--
Brian
							   - unknown

*- Michael Grimm wrote about "How to receive mail under WIN95 from another Debian PC ?"