keyboard vs ethernet pcmcia conflict?

Or at least that's my current theory..

I'm installing deb 2.0 (my first time with debian, I'm keen to switch
though, I've been using redhat and slackware) on a thinkpad 560e without a
cdrom.  The card is a motorola mariner ethernet/modem combo card.

The errors I'm getting are NOT consistant, and in between them I can ping
out from the failing laptop, so it's not 100% dead.

I've read everything I can find, and I understand that there are some
problems with pcmcia and hamm, but I believe my problem is different.

I got the base installation up and running, but then things got weird.

When I type on the keyboard, I get messages dumped to the screen saying:

if I don't type, the messages don't appear.

/var/log/messages shows it loading as well:

eth0: smc91c94: port 0x300, irq 3, 10baseT port, hw_addr 08:00:3E:1B:9E:7F
tty01 at 0x02f8 (irq=3) is a 16550A

So far so good (and identical to a similar thinkpad running slackware) but
less than a minute later the log shows:

tty01 unloaded

This process, starting with 'loading device' and ending with 'tty01
unloaded' repeats every few minutes (if I'm typing), and about once in 10
times it gives a separate error, like these:

eth0: Successful packet caused error interrupt?
smc91c92_cs: Yikes!  Bad chip signature!
(I got anther one about "hardware address" I think, but I've wiped the log
since)

Any suggestions appreciated!