Re: telnet break-in

On Sat, 22 Aug 1998, Nebu John Mathai wrote:

> Interesting ... after reading the above messages, I decided to check out
> my /var/log files and found a whole suite of "in.telnetd[XXX]: connect"
> statements.
>
> Should I be worried ... or does Debian come secure out of the box?

Debian is as secure as the passwords that you choose. If you have no root
password and go on the internet, you are asking for major problems. Debian
asks you to set a password and create a user account at install time. You
are as secure as the passwords you choose.

You can further limit who can connect with /etc/hosts.allow and
/etc/hosts.deny

For example in /etc/hosts.deny:

in.telnetd: .uu.net

Would block any login attempts from anyone on a uu.net address.

George Bonser

The Linux "We're never going out of business" sale at an FTP site near you!