possible security hole? causes system crash

I'm having lots of trouble w/ mc (midnight commander).  It offen stops
responding when running an external command (viewing files (using internal
viewer), executing programs, going to the shell prompt, etc.).  There is
no way I can kill it either.  I've tried kill -9 and nothing happens.
Once it happens once, it'll always happen the next time.  In a little
while system stops responding, and I need to toggle the on/off switch -- I
can't reconnect via telnet or locally to unmount file systems, etc..

Is this a problem w/ the kernel?  I'm using Linux-2.0.35,pre36-6

Are there any programs similar to mc?

---
Paul Miller <paul@3dillusion.com>