Re: apt & dists/stable-upgrades DOESN'T WORK

Robert Ramiega wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 20, 1998 at 03:19:03PM +0200, Ruud Janssen wrote:
> > Short question:
> >
> > Is it possible to point apt to dists/stable-upgrades
> > to update the system with the latest bugfix releases
> > of all installed packages?
>  sure
> put
> deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/pub/debian/dists stable-updates/
>
>  i use something similar to access non-US stuff

Hi,

This doesn't seem to work for me. This is my /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Debian/dists/ stable-updates/
deb ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Debian stable main contrib
non-us

First, "apt-get update" is indeed fetching the Packages files from all
of
the sources specified in sources.list. Since this is okay, I think
there's
nothing wrong with sources.list.

Second, "apt-get upgrade" comes up with a number of packages selected
for
an upgrade. This looks fine too.

But when "apt-get upgrade" is fetching "cfingerd" (the first package)
I get an error. If you look in stable-updates, you'll find that there
are many versions of cfingerd: .diff.gz, .dsc, _i386.changes, _i386.deb,
_m68k.changes and _m68k.deb.

My guess: apt-get doesn't "know" it should only get the _i386.deb, and
therefore halts when it is trying to get the .diff.gz.

So my question remains: is it possible at all to use the stable-updates
directory for an automatic upgrade?

Thanks for your time,

Ruud Janssen.