[Help] resc1440.bin (kernel) crash

Hi all,

	Please help me.  I accidentally hosed my linux upgrade and need to
reinstall from scratch.  But when I tried to boot from the rescue disk,
the kernel crashed on me.  I have an AHA-2842 SCSI controller.  The kernel
detected it and tries to reset something.  The next thing I see is a
message about dereferencing a null pointer and the standard register dump
from the kernel.  The last line says:  Aiee!  Killing interrupt handler.
It then sits there and I have to press the reset button.

I tried building a 2.0.35 kernel and copy it into the rescue disk (which
is just a dos formated disk).  The kernel now boots without problem, but
when it got to the point of mounting the root fs, I got an error message
about 'unable to open/access the root device 01:00'.  I assume this is the
ramdisk?  I did compile the ramdisk support into the kernel, as well as
dos fat and dosfs support, adaptec scsi driver, ppp, multi-device, and
some others that I wanted.  Is there something I need to make the kernel
boot with a ramdisk?  Or did I do something wrong when I copied the kernel
to the floppy?  I did run rdev.sh from the mounted floppy.  Maybe I did
that wrong?  I should note, the kernel I built was compressed.  I don't
know if the 'linux' file on the rescue disk is a compressed kernel.  It is
700+k, while my kernel is 400+k.

I'll try build a 2.0.34 kernel and see if it is actually causing the
problem.  Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated.

--jc
--
Jimen Ching (WH6BRR)      jching@flex.com     wh6brr@uhm.ampr.org