Re: Connection Refused

Kennedy Mutio writes:
> I have just installed debian linux onto a machine and added it to my
> network but I cannot telnet frm any other machine on the network to this
> new machine. I have checked the hosts.allow and hosts.deny files in /etc
> and changed them. I might have done this wrong but does anyone know what
> else I should change/configure?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ken.

Ken, Debian distribution is packaged as the most secure distribution for
Linux. What you can expect with Debian is very paranoid settings for
networking as compared with other distributions. You most likely will have to
turn on the required services.

Some basics:

1) Eye-ball the /etc/inetd.conf file and make sure the appropriate services are
activated.

2) Do a 'ps -ax' and make sure '/usr/sbin/inetd' is running. You may have a
problem and your system might not start up inetd.

3) As suggested by other members of this list, make sure that you have
installed/configured the 'server' version of the service. When you telnet from
the new machine, you are using the client version of a service (like ftp or
telnet). When you come into the new machine from a remote machine, you are
using the server version of the service (on the new machine).

4) You might want to eye-ball the '/etc/hosts' files of the machines for
consistancy. The older machines may not know about the new machine. In the
case of a name server (DNS) on your network, you might want to check it's
table(s).

--
-= Sent by Debian 1.3 Linux =-
Thomas Kocourek  KD4CIK