Qt installation problem

I'm trying to install Qt 1.40 on Debian 2.0 and have a
few questions. First, the Qt Install guide said to edit the
.profile file. However my home directory has only a file
named .bash_profile, should this be used instead or
should it be copied to .profile?

Second, I get the following error message when I enter
# make linux-g++-shared

   ./propagate configs/linux-g++-shared
   cmp /LICENSE: No such file or directory
   cmp /LICENSE: No such file or directory

   $QTDIR must be set t $PWD (/usr/local/qt)
   Please read INSTALL

   make: *** [linux-g++-shared] Error 1

What should be done to install this correctly?

Thanks,
Greg