binding bind

Hi,

I'm really happy my MTA is working well, now I just want to tweak these
last couple details.

I'm fairly new to bind, and I notice considreable delays while sending
local mail (30s) and remote mail (60s) when I'm not connected to the
'net (my isp's nameservers aren't reachable) which I'd like to reduce
to a more reasonable amount, or preferably eliminate.  Further, these
delays cause my X-win video to not be redrawn, and I can't click
anything while this is happening, although I can change to another VT.
Is there anyway to "deactivate" bind when I'm not connected to the 'net?

My configuration, derived from bindconfig, is "forward-only".  My
syslog shows named is running, purging it's cached RR's, et.al., and
I'm not getting any errors.

I see the /var/named/boot.options file, and I've read the
/usr/doc/bin/manual/options.html, but alas I'm not sure what param(s) I
should set.  I'm really happy my MTA is working well, now I just want
to tweak these last couple details.  Thanks for any ideas you can lend.