Re: new user needs help

On Wed, 19 Aug 1998, Brian D Kellogg wrote:

> hello,
>
> I have the following problems after installing Debian.
>
> 1.  I can't mount the cdrom.
> 	i get this error--can't find /dev/hdc in /etc/mtab or /etc/fstab.
> 	It's a standard Atapi cdrom.

How are you trying to mount it? It sounds like you're typing
mount /cdrom (or something similar), which won't work unless you have
information in /etc/fstab telling mount what the filesystem is, etc.

try
mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt

where /mnt is an empty directory. I use /cdrom
if that works, put a line like

/dev/hdb                /cdrom              iso9660        ;ATAPI (IDE)
CDROM

in your /fstab. (I copied this out of a post about setting up partitions,
and I think there's a column missing. do a man fstab to see what you need.

then you should be able to mount /cdrom without problems.
I forget what /etc/mtab is exactly.

> 3.  I can't start x
> 	i get this error--x: exec of /usr/bin/X11/XF86_NONE failed
> I have a notebook computer.  I know X will work on it because I used to
> have SUSE linux on it.

Have you run xf86config or XF86Setup? It sounds like you're X server
hasn't been configured.

Andrew Tarr

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate"
|___
http://multinet.co.nz/personalhomepages/locusmeus/antechamber.html