RE: win98/hamm dual boot problem

On Wed 19 Aug 1998, Michael Stenner <mstenner@phy.duke.edu> wrote:

> Following instructions I found on this list some time ago, I installed
> hamm and win98 separately: each have their own drive - only one was
> hooked up at a time.  Than, I put both drives in:  Linux as hda and
win
> as hdb.  THis was nothing new for linux, so I started up linux and ran
> lilo with the following lilo.conf:

If I read this correctly, you have done the following:

1.	Installed Linux on a drive that is seen by the BIOS as drive C.
2.	"Removed" this drive and replaced it with another.
3.	This new drive, also seen by the BIOS as drive C, has Win98
installed.
4.	You set this second drive to be the second (changing its
address)
	and replaced the Linux drive so it is the first.
5.	This means the Linux drive is seen as C and the Win98 as D.

If this is true, then it may be that your Win98 is failing because the
"addressing" is wrong for where it is installed.  It expects to be on
the
first drive but isn't.

You could try re-installing the Win98 to the second drive (maybe you
want to
nuke the existing Win98 partition so it doesn't think you are trying to
do
an upgrade) and let it handle the MBR on the first disk (note I am not
too
experienced with the Win95/98 way of doing things - this would work for
WinNT
no problem).  Then redo the lilo.conf (you should have a Linux boot disk
before
this, just to be sure you can get back to your Linux installation).

There is a How-To for setting up a dual boot for WinNT/Linux (using the
NT
boot loader) which may be helpful in your situation.  I do not have the
URL for
it but I found it in a search of the mailing list archives (look for
'dual
boot').  The NT details may or may not be useful but the over all
discussion
is very good.

Hope this helps ;-)

---
Bob McGowan
i'm:  bob dot mcgowan at artecon dot com