Re: Big-endian/little-endian (WAS: Re: can I burn the output of mpg123 -s?)

On Tue, Aug 18, 1998 at 02:11:15PM -0400, Lewis, James M.  wrote:
> I may be speaking out of turn here.

nah ;)

> I don't know much about X fonts
> but they used to be server specific.  That was back when the fonts
> were .snf files.  If you used different versions of the xserver on the
> same system they might take fonts in a different format.

That may explain the history behind the current situationa  bit...
if it was once THAT specific...then I can see why it is such a mess

> You might
> check if .pcf fonts are in a "standard" format for all servers.  If
> they are, then you might stand a chance of making the byte-swap work.

Thats a good point...More specifically...since this is a font server...
is pcf format the same as what5 a font server sends back?
I woul dhave to research that a bit to answer...hmm

However...the server only checks for byteorder not which X Server so
I assume there IS a standard. also there is xfs which serves up fonts.

> Example:  I use both M$ and linux xserver software.  Exceed on windows
> uses .fon files (presumably in ms windows format).  Both exceed and
> xf86 can use font servers.  Both run on x86 hardware.  What is the
> chance the formats would be compatible?  If the font format is
> specified in the protocol, chances may be pretty good.

I believe it would have to be..as i said... xfstt seems to work with
any font server (I even had a guy running HPUX and CDE
connect himself to my xfstt once when I was testing a patch I made)

> The point is, there are more questions here than just byte order.

Luckily I thinkl they have been solved in the protocol...
I think byteorder is now hopefully the only concern.

Tho the question still remains of which bytes the server will want swapped
and which it wont...

-Steve

E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"