Re: Big-endian/little-endian (WAS: Re: can I burn the output of mpg123 -s?)

On Tue, Aug 18, 1998 at 10:34:39AM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
> Quoting Stephen J. Carpenter (sjc@delphi.com):
> > The authors concern was that on a big endian system network order and
> > byte order are the same so hton* and ntoh* do nothing....so how do you
> > do the swapps...
> > I suggested a union first (like below) but...whats the "proper" way of
> > doing it?
>
> The solution is to always run hton before putting stuff on the wire and
> running ntoh when pulling stuff back.  That way you can be sure that the
> stuff on the wire is always network byte order without having to put in
> nasty test cases.

thats all well and good BUT...
xfstt is a ont server for X11....So it has to work within the existing
protocols...it would be a "bad thing" if you had to modify the Xserver to
use a new font server.

However when you don't need to worry about compatibility with existing
(albeit somewhat braindead) way things work...you are absolutely correct.

-Steve

E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"