Re: Little/Big endian discussion (was: Re: can I burn the output of mpg123 -s?)

On Tue, Aug 18, 1998 at 09:38:54AM +0200, Torsten Hilbrich wrote:
> On: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 00:43:23 -0400 Stephen J Carpenter writes:
>
> >> Little endian = intel byte order = host byte order (if its an intel)
> >> big endian = network byte order = host byte order (on 64 bit boxes)?
> >
> > I dunno if ALL 64 bit boxen are big endian.
> > I know SUN systems are big-endian...I don't know about PPCs, or
> > ALphas tho
>
> The PowerPC can handle both formats (i.e., the processor can be told
> to be a little/big-endian one by software), the alpha is little endian
> *IIRC* (don't rely on it).

Thanx for the info...hmmm

currently xfstt bombs out if it gets a connection of a differnt
"endianess" than the system it is on...I have been meaning to fix that but
maybe the PowerPC may have an easier fix...
nah...ill just look into fixing it "right"
-Steve

E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"