DEBIAN 2.0 FAQ Tue Aug 18

This is a rather crude and quick hammered FAQ list for the DEBIAN GNU/Linux System.

Version: Tue Aug 18 13:00:00 CEST 1998

(C) 1998 Jens Ritter.
    You may want to apply one of the Gnu Public Licenses to this document.

Questions:
 1) Soundbalster AWE/16/32 PnP: Howto get it work?
 2) The clock under Linux is wrong: What shall I do?
 3) How to I turn off console screen blanking?
 4) Where has pine gone in hamm?
 5) Where has bo gone? *PANIC*
 N) How to I contribute to this FAQ?

Answers:
1) My SoundBlaster AWE/16/32 PnP does not work. What can I do/What`s
   the problem?

   Well on most systems you have to use the isapnp package to get it
   work.  Use pnpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf to generate a starting
   configuration. Edit it.  Configure and Compile the sound driver as
   module and add "sound" to /etc/modules.  Keep you fingers crossed
   while you reboot.  (See the HOWTOs for more information, especially
   the Soundblaster AWE mini HOWTO -- you can find the in
   /usr/doc/HOWTO, if you have installed doc-linux-text).

   Note that with SB 16 Vibra you have to configure a 16 bit DMA
   channel of "1" to be able to play mp3 files.

2) My Clock is off X hours, when I am in Linux. What's wrong?

   Under Linux there is a difference between the hardware clock (CMOS
   clock) and the time displayed when you call date. Most probably you
   gave some false answers when you installed debian the fist time
   (because you didn't know better).

   Thorsten Hilbrich wrote:

   > If your debian box is not correctly configured regarding to time
   > zones just run the tzconfig program and select something like
   > Europe, Budapest.
   >
   > Then check how you configured the CMOS clock to run.  Look into the
   > /etc/default/rcS file (for a Debian 2.0 system).  If the line reads
   > GMT="-u" your CMOS clock is always set to GMT/UTC (Greenwich Mean
   > Time, Universal Time Code), i.e. the time in your debian box is
   > different from the one in the CMOS clock).  If you want to change
   > this, change the line to GMT="".

   Note that you can use the xntp3 package to set you box to a correct
   time when you are connected to the internet.

3) How do you shutoff the console's screen blank?

   Martin Bialasinski <martin@internet-treff.uni-koeln.de> answers:
   The command is "setterm -blank 0"

   Just create a file in /etc/rc.boot
   -------------------
   #!/bin/sh

   setterm -blank 0

   and chmod 755 it.
   -------------------

4) Where has pine gone in hamm?

   Due to the License of pine, which restrict the distribution of
   modified binaries, there are only pine396-src and pine396-diffs in
   the archive. You have to compile and generate a pine package
   yourself. See /usr/src/pine/README after installing pine396-src and
   -diffs.

5) Where the <biep> is bo? I need it urgently!!!

   Debians distribution has grown over the last five years. Now there
   are > 1500 packages in source and binary form. Diskspace has become
   an issue. The official site do not carry bo (aka Debian 1.3.1) any
   more. But don't panick: There are mirrors of bo out there.

   Here's an imcomplete list (if no path is mentioned, it's the usual place):
   * ftp://ftp.infodrom.north.de/

   (Note: This is not complete, please send links to bo mirrors!!)

N) How do I contribute to this FAQ?

   Please sent mail to grimaldi@debian.org, if you have any
   corrections / suggestions, new questions.

   Thanks

Jens

- ---
Jens.Ritter@weh.rwth-aachen.de grimaldi@debian.org
KeyID: 2048/E451C639 1998/01/28
Print: 5F 3D 43 1E 24 1E CC 48 1E 05 93 3A A7 10 73 37
Global War[m|n|p|r]ing?
                -- Peter G. Neumann (Comp.Risks 19.91)