Re: wrong time!

On: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 15:18:00 +0800 (HKT) jc  writes:

> I find that my system clock in debian is 8 hours more than that in
> my win98. know that my time zone should be +08:00. How can I correct
> this??

If your debian box is not correctly configured regarding to time zones
just run the tzconfig program and select something like Europe,
Budapest.

Then check how you configured the CMOS clock to run.  Look into the
/etc/default/rcS file (for a Debian 2.0 system).  If the line reads
GMT="-u" your CMOS clock is always set to GMT/UTC (Greenwich Mean
Time, Universal Time Code), i.e. the time in your debian box is
different from the one in the CMOS clock).  If you want to change
this, change the line to GMT="".

Then make sure you CMOS clock is correctly set.  First use the date
command to set the correct time (make sure that no important process
is running or you will experiences the joy of time travelling).  The
use the "hwclock --systohc" to transport this system time to your
CMOS.  If you have your system to store the GMT in the CMOS clock, add
the --utc parameter to the hwclock call.

Read more about the relationship of system and CMOS clock in the
manpage of hwclock.

	Torsten