Re: pathchar documentation

Guenther Koerbler wrote:

> Who has a description or documentation about pathchar, the program from Van
> Jacobson ?
> Especially what means the last output: pipes ?

I don't know the answer specifically to your question but I remember
attending a talk which Van gave on pathchar last year.  I've found the
slides for that talk here:

ftp://ftp.ee.lbl.gov/pathchar/msri-talk.{pdf,ps.gz}

As I recall, the talk was quite mathematical (it was given to the
Mathematical Sciences Research Institute after all!) gave a good
background on how traceroute works and how pathchar is an extension of
those ideas.  Figuring out the contents of a talk from only the slides
can be very difficult if not impossible but perhaps this might help
you figure it out.

You may also try looking at some of the other papers or talks which
have been given by members of the Network Research Group at LBL.
Links are off the groups main page: http://www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/

Luck,
Keith