RE: Formatting a file with mkfs.msdos

On Mon, 17 Aug 1998 10:39:25 -0700, Bob McGowan wrote:

>But, let me make a few comments, which may help answer the question
>anyway.

    Or, at the very least, explain a few things to people who didn't know
that before.

>Anything with "mkfs" as part of its name generally refers to a tool
>used to build a filesystem.  In the DOS world this is what "format"
>does.

    And mkfs is short for "make file system."

>Files, on the other hand, "live" in the file system.  So using an
>"mkfs" on a file does not quite make sense (unless you are using the
>word "file" in the VERY general sense of an item in the file system,
>which, in UNIX style systems, includes the names refering to disk
>devices).

    Sure it does.  Try this example:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/somefile bs=1024 count=8000
mkfs -t ext2 /somefile

    It will complain that it isn't a block device and ask if you're sure.  If
you are it will then format the file just fine.  There, you have an 8Mb file
with a valid ext2 file system on it.  You just formatted a file.  ;)  To
verify that make sure you have loopback support compiled into your kernel
and...

losetup /dev/loop0 /somefile
mount /dev/loop0 /mnt

    Of course, if you use the losetup first and mkfs on /dev/loop0 instead of
the file, it doesn't complain that it isn't a block device.

    My problem is I want to get the FAT formatting onto a file (disk image
may be a better word) that is 20Mb large so I can mount it under DOSEMU.  Why
do it that way, you ask?  Simple, I don't have any room on my current HDs to
make a real DOS partition and by doing it this way I can delete it later on
down the road.  The problem is, mkfs.msdos (or mkfs -t fat) cannot find the
geometry of the drive (file) even when it is hooked up through a loopback
device.

--
             Steve C. Lamb             | Opinions expressed by me are not my
    http://www.calweb.com/~morpheus    | employer's.  They hired me for my