Re: PPP wont work!!!!! please help!

>> "D" == Dylan  <supa.phly@mindspring.com> writes:

D> i ran pppconfig, and wvdial config when i installed...   when i do 'pon'
D> it dials, connects, and i stay connected, but i try to test the connection
D> by pinging several hosts, but it always says: 'yahoo.com: unknown host'.

Looks like a routing or name resolving problem.

After you are connected, run "route -n".

You should have a line like:
[...]
0.0.0.0         194.8.216.203   0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        1 ppp0

The first 0.0.0.0 is important. It is the defaultroute all traffic,
which can't be routed by the other lines in the route -n output, goes
through.

If the line is missing, you need to add the defaultroute option to the
pppd options.

Maybe routing is OK, but you can't resolve names.

Can you do a ping 204.71.177.35 (this is www6.yahoo.com) ?

/etc/resolv.conf should read:

nameserver ip.of.your.DNSserver

/etc/host.conf:

order hosts, bind
multi on

Ciao,
	Martin

PS: Your ! key is stuck. And you don't have to explicitly ask for
help in the subject line. That's why we are here.

<shameless plug>
If you have X running, you could give xisp a try. A very nice pppd
frontend with multiple ISP configuration and phonecost accounting.

Brought to you by your fearless and extremely good looking maintainer
into the slink distribution :-)

http://www.debian.org/Packages/unstable/net/xisp.html
</shameless plug>