[Fwd: Cheapbytes installed : now some questions]

--- Begin Message ---
john@dhh.gt.org wrote:

> > I did have some problems initially with confiuring 'dip' to work.  (The
> > ppp install script crashed with an error.
>
> By 'install script' do you mean pppconfig?  If so, please try again and
> send me a report.  I'm the author of pppconfig.

    No. As per Marcus' instructions, I reinstalled using pppconfig, and it went
through without a hitch. Actually, if my memory serves me right, the error
actually occurred when I was trying to connect to my ISP after having
configured ppp. When I used pppconfig, I never saw this screen. Maybe, if I
ever reinstall Debian from scratch, I might  duplicate this error. I hope you
will understand my not wanting to do this right now.

    Yes, ppp works fine for me right now.

> > There were some problems with the Makefile searching for  the
> > 2.7.2.1 gcc-lib include directory instead of 2.7.2.3, but I got around
> > that.
>
> Why didn't you just install the Debian dip package?

I did. And as I stated in my original posting, it refused to work. I later
traced its not working to a bug in my chat-script. Before that happened,
however, one of the things I tried was to recompile dip from the sources.

I did notice that there is a diff file for dip in Hamm. However, when I
installed the patch, it absolutely refused to build. I thought that maybe there
was some error in the way that I applied the patch, and tried with the
unpatched source. The problem that I reported were against this version.
Thinking back, it now appears to me that maybe this is what Marcus was driving
at.

> > Also, I downloaded communicator 4.05 and tried to install it. Part of the
> > install process required using a program (that comes in the communicator
> > tarball) called 'vreg'. I am unable to execute this.
>
> Did you try the Netscape installer package the is included in Debian?

Nope. Silly me. I didnt realise that Netscape came packaged in debian.

Thanks John,
Kenneth

--- End Message ---